Wednesday, August 24, 2011

To the Dentist WE WILL GO

Like it or not!!

It was Buster Brown's turn first. He was excited. They give you a new toothbrush and a balloon and a little tube of toothpaste, and that's pretty exciting when you are 7. He's been there before. We headed off happily. We were playing in the waiting room just fine. They have a wii... which we don't know how to use, but we were attempting to canoe down the river with it when Jame's name was called.

Changing gears does not go over so well... He started to cry about it and suddenly he was acting ANGRY - SCREAMING at the top of his lungs. I soon realized he was probably terrified for some unknown reason. We've done this before without mishap.

Except wait a second....

Last time I scheduled his dental appointment he went ballistic before we even got to the dentist while we were still at speech. He was screaming his head off and I thought he was just being uncooperative with the speech teacher because he didn't want to go to speech first.

Hmmmmm.....

Maybe I made a mistake in how I handled that. I drove him straight home and put him in his room to scream all he wanted.

Maybe he got what he wanted. He went home instead of to the dentist.

So yesterday, I was fearful that they would send us home and I knew he needed to face the giant otherwise I would never, ever be able to get his teeth looked at. Instead they gave us a private room with a door. After praying with him and calming him down on my lap, etc... he would go nuts every time we approached the dentist chair. Finally I put him in it and sat on him. He managed to throw me off once, but I got a better grip and the hygienist managed to convince him that she was just wanting to brush his teeth. I told him the chair was special because it gave rides up and down.... so it was demonstrated and after that everything was fine.

AND I JUST WANTED TO CRY! 

Everything was fine except for the stupid movie they had playing above his head.The snatches I heard of Madagascar is disgusting. I was positively appalled that this is considered kid material.

Missy is throwing a great big tantrum in her room. She wanted to go with the girls and even got her shoes on, but the plan never was for her to go anywhere. She got upset with me when I said no. A little bit ago I asked her what happens when you throw a tantrum?

She said, "no swimming"

and then proceeded to really have a tantrum. Yes, and friends are joining us for swimming today.

Oh, well. her choice.


3 comments:

:)De said...

We went to a new opthimologist. As I was filling out paperwork, the receptionist informed that she could put a movie in for the kids. (They had the biggest flat screen t.v.'s that I had ever seen!) I said, "Oh no thank you." and went back to the paperwork. She turned to my kids and said, "You kids want to watch..." and started naming cartoons which I assume are popular. My kids looked at her blankly with nonrecognition on their faces. She also looks confused at their response. I tell her quite loudly, "They don't know who those characters are...we don't watch T.V.!" to which she responds, "No cartoons!!!" Like how can they live without cartoons. When we get into the exam room, the Dr. says he was glad that my kids don't "Watch that junk." Funny.

I pray that someday Missy makes the connection.

Trinie said...

Isn't it terrible the things that adults think are ok for little one's to watch? It's not good for our ears and minds...how can it be good for theirs? When we go to the dentist..doc. etc. I just ask if we could have it turned off. They usually look at me funny at first, but they get over it. I ask kindly..my children's characters are more important than anything. Isn't this the only thing we take to heaven with us? Days of going to the check-ups is challenging. Each time gets easier...remember, "This too shall pass!"

~marci~ said...

Gotta say...i wonder about that winter picture in August ;p