Monday, August 15, 2011

It's a Tantrum Waiting to Happen

Mom with all the boys at the airport.
Things are winding up as far as fun and vacation and having family over are concerned and Missy is tired and she's not going to hold it in any longer.

She was pushing the limits yesterday before breakfast and I was stubbornly pushing back. If you are going to stand there holding your water in your mouth for half an hour instead of drinking it, while everybody else is eating breakfast to make some sort of point, then I guess maybe you need two glasses of water!

The final straw was after breakfast. I was headed to take my mom to the airport and I told the kids they could all come if they could manage to comb their hair and all have clean T-shirts. Missy was told to get her booster out of the Honda and put it in the suburban. I saw her go to the Honda and open the door  - but when I looked in the suburban she was sitting in her seat without the booster with THAT LOOK. I called her to me and she scrambled to flee out the opposite door, but I remained firm that she come my way and I carried her out of the car and said, "I am sorry but you chose not to obey! You will stay home with Auntie".

She blew. I had warned everyone it was coming. I doubt they expected it to be quite that spectacular.

Unfortunately, she would not give my mom a hug or stop her tirade and totally disgusted my mother. Way to go to impress Memere, kiddo.

I left her in Julie and Vanessa's hands. They had her run to the mailbox and back and then she calmed and was sent to her room.

She missed swimming, which was cause for the second tantrum of the day. The afternoon and evening went fine and I kept her close to me in the garden. I did let her play with the kids for a short while and she went to bed with all sorts of promises that she was going to obey in the morning. Unfortunately, this kid wakes up a grump every morning and all promises fly out the window. . . .she refused to get going this morning. We finally had to "close the restaurant" as we could not wait for her all day. If she were trying it would be one thing, but to be blatant about keeping breakfast waiting... that's another story. To keep her from going up in steam I distracted her by sending her to the shower where she proceeded to disobey on every level. It will be a long day. Swimming is already out of the picture.

I'm working on the homeschool plan. Yesterday I worked on Christina's plan. Looks like she might get the flute teacher she has wanted for over a year!! I sure hope it works out because this would be a perfect fit, I think.

I can't help it. I'm dreading homeschooling the twins. I feel like I don't have the energy to deal with the character, behavioral and emotional stuff and teach them the three R's, too. I'm exhausted thinking about it. This is Christina's first year of homeschool high school, Brianna's first year of Running Start.... I can't cheat them on the support and help they need, either.

While we were at the airport, we decided to see what was flying at the radio flyer club.







Boys and their toys!

3 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

What beautiful shots of the boys at the airport.

As for Missy, you know my thoughts {and understandings}.

Praying for you my friend, exactly what I am praying for myself,

"love your enemies and bless those that persecute you."

A bug hug from a Mama who sypmathizes,
S

Mama in Uganda said...

P.S. Sorry for the typos--I blame it on a loooong day without daddy!

Kelly said...

{{Hugs}}