Sunday, May 22, 2011

Part 2 of Schadenfreude

"What a fearful thing is it that any language should have a word expressive of the pleasure which men feel at the calamities of others; for the existence of the word bears testimony to the existence of the thing. And yet in more than one such a word is found. ... In the Greek epikhairekakia,  in the German, 'Schadenfreude.' " 
[Richard C. Trench, "On the Study of Words," 1852]
I'm almost timid to be summarizing the sermon here, not because the preacher's gonna read it, but there is a pretty real possibility his wife might :-) Hey, at least the guy would know he didn't waste his breath and the thoughts made an impression. I find the best way for me to organize my thoughts and to learn to apply them to my life is to write and this so applies to raising these twins ... The point is not to copy someone else's thoughts but to make them my own.  So, on to part 2 and if you don't know what schadenfreude is then read part 1 here.

At the heart of schadenfreude is this tendency of human beings to compare themselves with each other. This leads to envy, which turns to elation when the fortunes of their rival turn to misfortunes and disaster. 

2 Corinthians 10:12

For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. 
But they, 
measuring themselves by themselves, 
and comparing themselves among themselves, 
are not wise. 

I wasn't actually at church on the day of the sermon on schadenfreude as James was sick,
but the family told me all about it and I was interested enough to make the effort to acquire the CD. 
Vanessa came home and exclaimed,
"Mom! there's a whole lot more to that verse on comparing ourselves 
among ourselves than you always quoted."

*SMILE* 
The condensed version has been well used since the girls were toddlers....

To understand the seriousness of the matter,  I quote:

In heaven none will think of self, nor seek their own pleasure; 
but all, 
from pure, genuine love,  
will seek the happiness of the heavenly beings around them.
If we wish to enjoy heavenly society in the earth made new, 
we must be governed by heavenly principles here. 
 
I was shown that there was too much comparing ourselves among ourselves, 
taking fallible mortals for a pattern,
when we have a sure, unerring pattern. 
We should not measure ourselves by the world, 
nor by the opinions of men, 
nor by what we were before we embraced the truth. 
But our faith and position in the world, 
as they now are,
must be compared with what they would have been 
if our course had been continually onward and upward 
since we professed to be followers of Christ. 
This is the only safe comparison that can be made.  
In every other there will be self-deception. 
If the moral character and spiritual state of God’s people 
do not correspond with the blessings, privileges, 
and light which have been conferred upon them, 
they are weighed in the balance, 
and angels make the report, 
   WANTING.  
 {CCh 80.4}


As I've been studying and thinking I haven't come up with a "magic cure" for this schadenfreude. It permeates the character at a deep level. There's actual brain activity going on and pathways in the thinking are grooved in deep and steadfast.

The two things that keep coming to my attention are these:
1 -Our only security is in right thinking. *
We need a constant sense of the ennobling power of pure thoughts. The only security for any soul is right thinking. As a man “thinketh in his heart, so is he.” The power of self-restraint strengthens by exercise. That which at first seems difficult, by constant repetition grows easy, until right thoughts and actions become habitual. If we will, we may turn away from all that is cheap and inferior, and rise to a higher standard; we may be respected by men, and beloved of God.
 —The Ministry of Healing, 491

 
2- We must keep our focus on the TRUE Standard, our Example and Pattern.
I saw that many measure themselves among themselves, and compare their lives with the lives of others. This should not be. No one but Christ is given us as an example. He is our true Pattern, and each should strive to excel in imitating Him. We are co-workers with Christ, or co-workers with the enemy. We either gather with Christ or scatter abroad. We are decided, wholehearted Christians, or none at all. 
{1T 126.1

And so as I think about the schadenfreude issue with the twins, I am reminded that it's my work to endeavor to keep Jesus before them as the one to emulate and compare themselves to, so that, rather than striving to measure themselves in competition with a peer as flawed and susceptible as themselves, they are encouraged to reach a new standard and forever attaining new heights in their experience as they imitate their creator and Savior. Won't it be something when they begin to encourage each other to better and better things rather than reveling in the folly of the other's sin and consequence? Isn't that what siblings were meant for?

Of course, all this thinking has led me to contemplate my own life. Is it possible that I indulge in schadenfreude, envy, or that I compare myself with others and measure my life by my friends? The remedy for my sin is Christ.

In beholding the Lamb of God, I am changed into His image...
There is no greater standard to attain, no higher measure to reach.
Everything I do must be done to the best of the ability which Jesus has given me. 1Peter 4:11
It is to be done heartily unto the Lord and not unto man. Colossians 3:23
And the power to live that life is given through Christ - 
Every way we look at it, Christ is the answer to the very root of schadenfreude.
****
On a side note: I found a newspaper article written yesterday with the word schadenfreude in it. I don't know anything about this online magazine, it just came up in my google search. 
Yesterday was May 21, 2011 and a great many people were expecting to be raptured, but it didn't happen and there is a great disappointment happening among these deceived people. Others are indulging in ridicule and even, as this one writer put it, schadenfreude: Article
An amazing example of this topic.

2 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

Oh how CHRIST must ALWAYS be our standard!

As I was reading this post, I was reminded of the demon possessed boy Jesus healed. He did not tell the father to go and get the child examined by a psychotherapist, nor did He recommend extensive psychotherapy.

Jesus touched this child, and that was ALL he needed.

I love that the Lord is more than able to redeem and RESTORE!

If people could see what we see here in Northern Uganda, they would believe. BUT, so many people "demand signs." When this Truth is written all over the pages of the Word.

Blessings as you "search the scriptures daily,"
S

Mama in Uganda said...

Oh how CHRIST must ALWAYS be our standard!

As I was reading this post, I was reminded of the demon possessed boy Jesus healed. He did not tell the father to go and get the child examined by a psychotherapist, nor did He recommend extensive psychotherapy.

Jesus touched this child, and that was ALL he needed.

I love that the Lord is more than able to redeem and RESTORE!

If people could see what we see here in Northern Uganda, they would believe. BUT, so many people "demand signs." When this Truth is written all over the pages of the Word.

Blessings as you "search the scriptures daily,"
S