Monday, May 2, 2011

Another Cougar

There are so many cougar stories this year. Cougars in people's yards, driveways, patios, in the playground, in town, on our hill, stalking a morning walker, and today, from what I gather, during daylight hours one was spotted in a yard in the valley right between our house and Tall's. We've been taking precautions. The kids do chores in the evening together and I don't let the twins play off by themselves.  We haven't been hiking the hill much and certainly not at night.  Several have been put down because they've been young, underweight animals. Someone actually took a photo of 8 cougars one county over last winter.

Our duckling troubles, as of yesterday, are all blamed on the weasel Missy and I had a strange encounter with. What a feisty creature! He was up on his hind legs dancing around Missy's feet, screaming his little head off at Holly. The dog just couldn't get a hold of him. I called Holly off because I noticed some pretty evil looking teeth and I figured we didn't need the vet bill. The weasel is a beautiful little animal and has a lot of character. I'm just not sure we can co-exist together on this property.  He's been a ruthless killer.

1 comment:

La Tea Dah said...

Cougars are so concerning. One was found in the basement of a home being built in our town about a month ago. It was a home on a city block.

Cougars are very common in our cabin area as well. I've taken to carrying a heavy-duty size can of pepper spray on me when I'm out and about or hiking.

Keep safe!