Thursday, May 26, 2011

All About Jesus

I really enjoyed the "All About Jesus" meeting last night.  Since the twins came to live here I find myself skipping most social and spiritual events. Dealing with the irrational behavior after a later-than-usual night rarely makes it worth it. Sometimes I feel completely cut off of friends and friendship, and I feel sad about missing a spiritual feast... I have to keep the ultimate goal in mind, though, and sometimes that means staying home and putting the kids to bed and keeping their lives simple and uncluttered, and sometimes that means going out regardless of the fallout. Yesterday, Steve convinced me that going was in our best interest. Yes, I have crabby children this morning! They weren't even in bed all that late, it's just the way it goes. Interestingly enough, a few months ago this same speaker we heard last night did the same series in another nearby church and I was only able to attend maybe 2 of the meetings and it turns out last night's meeting was one I had previously attended, so it was repeat for me. However, I decided that it must be the Lord's doing and that I needed to hear this message again.

Having a fulfilling relationship with Jesus is the theme of  Venden's series. 

In summery of last night:

A Christ-like character is something we receive, not something we achieve. Relying on my own efforts to form character is worth nothing and we can't fix ourselves (Isa. 64:6). All our promises to reform are ropes of sand, as we can do nothing without Jesus (John 15:5). All our obedience comes from the heart, but all comes through Jesus (Philippians 4:13). We are told to fight the good fight of faith (1 Tim 6:13), but the truth is, God does the fighting for us (Isa 59:19). It' not by our might or power (Zech. 4:6) that we are changed into God's image, but by beholding Christ (2 Cor. 3:18). God finishes what He begins, (Philippians 1:6) but it is for us to abide, abide, abide in Him (John 15:4-5).


All true obedience comes from the heart. 
It was heart work with Christ. 
And if we consent, 
He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, 
so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, 
that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses.
The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. 
When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, 
our life will be a life of continual obedience.
Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, 
through communion with God,
sin will become hateful to us.
{Desire of Ages 668.3}

I understand what that means for me and my personal life, but I still wrestle with  trying to wrap my brain around what it means in my parenting of these twins who have not yet learn to "KNOW" Him as their Savior, yet.

See, I'm working to remold the character's of these kiddos for obvious reasons. They wouldn't stand a chance in their old way of thinking in this life or the next, and yet, is there anything I can actually do to change that? I certainly can't save them. Requiring obedience when it doesn't come from the heart... what does that actually do for them? Is that just force? God never employs force of any kind with any of us. It is true that they are certainly nowhere near sin being hateful to them, nor are their impulses akin to that of Christ's. I keep coming back to this... What's my part.

4 comments:

Inga said...

I have been reading your post for awhile now, can't really remember how I found your blog.But, I do know I have posted this before that if you didn't take those twins into your home, they would be lost forever. Patience- it is hard to have. I find myself at times having none. But, I guess what I want to say is that you are trying to turn around 6 years of abuse and mismanagement of children in just one year. What you have done for them is remarkable, they have come so far and one day you are going to wake up and this will all be like a dream. :) Everything will fall into place for you and your family, you just have to have the STRONGEST patience. You are fighting a battle with satan and the reason its so tough, you are winning, you may not realize it, but you are.

God Bless.
Inga

La Tea Dah said...

As I was reading through your post, I started thinking of your precious kiddos as well. I understand your questions. As parents, I think we all wrestle with this for all our children. I think it all comes down to this: the most important thing we can do for our children is to pray for them --- daily. Grace is imparted to them through the prayers of their mother and father. God requires willingness (obedience) from them --- but if they are not willing --- He also imparts willingness to be willing --- in response to a parents prayers. As parents, we represent God to our children until they are of an age to more fully comprehend God and His character. Your consistent insistence upon obedience and good habits as well as your constant, unconditional love, represent God to your little ones. You are doing a great job, Angela. Don't second guess yourself. You are one of the most dedicated and determined mother's I know! Hang in there! You have many praying for you on this journey. God bless you!

Mama in Uganda said...

I agree with the second comment.

Very wise and insightful.

I believe we must strive in the Spirit to represent the character of God to our children.

As for demanding obedience.

God does command children to obey their parents so that it might go well with them.

He also commands parents to discipline their children for willful disobedience.

By faith.

I too have come to the realization that I can not change the hearts of my children. But, the Word of God is a salve that is able to do that. Therefore, I spend my days speaking the Word into their lives, and praying for hearts to become soft towards the things of God.

Keep your heart full of the Word!

Blessings,
Summer

Sharon said...

Ah yes, our part - "striving against sin, resisting unto blood," "dying daily," and yielding all - infinitesimal in comparison with God's part, but yet necessary in order that the work may be a success.

Keep up the good fight of faith.