Tuesday, May 24, 2011

At Least I'm Smiling

Some days only get harder, but now it's bordering on comical... so, I'm smiling.

Yes, got Bri to her appointment on time and left her there and was only 3 minutes late to speech at the hospital.... where I proceeded to lock my keys in the car.  No problem. Steve works there. Oh, wait, big problem... couldn't find him and he didn't answer his phone. Anyway, turns out he didn't have a key, either. Brianna by this time was late for writing class. Fact is, she never made it 'cause I couldn't get a hold of her to make other arrangements since she left her phone at home. Vanessa had a key, thankfully, but I had to wait until all her classes were over.

So, Missy was so hard to deal with that the speech therapist came out and said, "Oh, wow!! I think I made a horrible mistake! I let her have some treats and I think it really set her off."

I assured her it had nothing to do with treats.... though, she probably shouldn't have them.

Came home to more grief. Put the children to some tasks. James came through like a trooper!! Awesome job, awesome attitude.  He enjoyed his free time on his bicycle in the sunshine later.

We're still screaming and we are still at it with Missy. I asked her to put the storybooks in order. There are 5 with 5 big numbers on them. She will put four of them in the right order, but will NOT put the fifith in the correct spot. Sometimes it's the one she won't have in the right place. Sometimes it's the three. She knows how. We've prayed. We've cried. We've had consequences. We've been firm. We've been sweet. We've done everything possible to help without actually doing it. Here's the kicker - she already put the other set of 5 in order. She knows how. She can count. She just won't.When I shake my head and say, "sorry sweety, that's not quite right, is it?" She shakes her head no and then reaches for the one that is wrong, however she WILL NOT put it in the right place.

Tell me I'm insane....

PS...She finally did it. She battled furiously for so long I lost track of time. I kept praying. The breakthrough finally came when I was begging her to give her heart to Jesus. I explained (for the "hundredth time) that she had a choice to give her heart to Jesus and do what was right or to allow Satan control of her life and continue in sadness and misery. She caved with a big smile. I then mixed them up again and she could do them right the first time every time after that. So, I gave her a different pile, a set of 6. She did the first 5 fine and then stumbled on the last. It was so obvious what she was doing. It was without a doubt the last one so she would only put it perpendicular to the pile since lining it up with the rest would spell defeat. She knew she could not mess with the first 5 as she just proved  she could do them. Once again I worked and worked for her heart. She did it. Next she put the set of 10 in order without a hitch. Which was BOLD proof that she had been playing games all along.

CHILD, CHILD. Whatever are we gonna do with you?!

2 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

How many times I have been right where you are at.

Boy is it exhausting.

Hang onto Jesus.

Blessings,
S

Oldqueen44 said...

It is so good for me to read these stories from you. My daughter calls in desperation for patience and a word of encouragement to get through this same trial. I always ask ... are you sure he or she can do it, depending on who is on the war path that day, and she just says ... Yes Mom , They did it yesterday. One child will pull this stunt about writing their name. Will NOT write the letters in the correct order. Since he is mentally challenged, I stress, maybe he forgot, or maybe this or maybe that, and she says , well watch this, If my daughter touches his hand with her finger he suddenly knows how to spell and write his name. (Oh wow !. There goes all the grandma mercy kid.) So the battle continues and I pray for my daughter to survive the challenge.
Does Satan know how to speak the same lie to all these wounded children. The similarity in all the disfunction is so amazing to me.