Monday, May 16, 2011

Missy's Prayer

On Sabbath we were going for a hike on a mountain trail. Kind of a little spooky as we came across the very, very  fresh insides  of a deer. There was a trail of blood and the intestines and stomach and NOTHING else. You would expect to see bones, or hair or something. Cougars, cougars everywhere! At least the critter had just eaten so we wouldn't be target. Anyway, that had nothing to do with my story.....

... Except that we were going for a walk when Missy asked if she could go to the kids Bible meeting in the evening with James. Really, there was NO reason to say no. She's been content and happy and easy going. But I hesitated. Only because I am always looking at the future and what might happen if I should allow her that privilege and I want her to think about that also. I suggested that it was quite possible that she could go, but that I was really worried how she might act the next day if she experienced that kind of freedom.

"I want to be happy tomorrow!!"  she said.

"Yes, honey, I know you want to be, but that isn't enough. You can't just say that and everything will be fine. You have to make a decision, and even then you don't have the power within yourself to stay regulated. You need to ask Jesus for help."

She took my hand and asked, "Will you pray with me?"

Of course I said that I would, but she was insistent. "No, will you pray with me right now?"

Steve overheard and we gather in a little circle and held hands and each prayed that God would give Missy the strength to make good decisions and to keep her regulated and happy tomorrow even though she was going to be enjoying some extra freedom that night.

The meeting was the last of the series. They loved it and both were given little Bibles and other treasures. HOWEVER, we had brought some people with us who are seeking to know Christ and my husband wanted them to have the full effect.... you know, the visiting afterwards, the refreshments, etc... yeah, it meant we were LATE going home. I was not very happy about that. I let him know that I was going to have a trying and rough time with the twins the next day on account of our getting them to bed so late.

And yes, Buster Brown had a rough day yesterday. We ended up running in the pouring rain for a mile and a half and walking for a few  more before he decided to cooperate and stop the misery - after we were soaked through - even through our rain coats. He also had a long, needed nap. Missy, though, was an angel  ALL DAY! She reminded me a couple of times, "Yesterday we pray. Today I happy!"

What made the difference? I pray with her all the time. I have her pray with me all the time, too. Why was this prayer time so much more effective to her little heart?

The difference is SHE made the decision,
SHE asked to pray,
SHE put her will on the side of right,
And it made all the difference.

6 comments:

stellarparenting.com said...

the deer insides sounds like a hunter, that's what they usually do, gut them and leave the guts for animals to eat then just take the body.
It seems for us that when one of our kids is having a tough day the other is often angelic, or at least tries to be, glad Missy held it together

Kelly said...

Yeah for Missy (and everyone else that didn't have to deal with her) :)

becky said...

exciting progress, she was so happy sat night when I saw her. Keep up the good work.

Elyssa said...

That's beautiful! Our decision, our choice, our attitude - makes all the difference! :-) God can't work for us unless we allow Him too. :-) It's beautiful, thank you for sharing. It did bless even me. :-)

Araya Frohne said...

Praise the Lord! That is so wonderful! :-) I'm very glad she made her own decision. It's awesome to read about how God is working in lives, even when it doesn't appear so.

Diane said...

So happy for Missy! Hopefully she will continue to choose the right path.