Thursday, August 12, 2010

What Can I Say?

Things are going well outside of the fact that Buster has a barky cough and he's still peeing his pants every chance he gets. I took away the underwear thinking that would make him feel yucky quicker. He kept dry for a whole day. Yesterday he wet himself twice. The only thing it's helped is that we notice sooner. Little Miss must have thought there was something she was missing out on so she tried it.... only she was sitting on her bed and well, I can't say she enjoyed stripping, washing and remaking the bed. She found out there's nothing really fun about it.  I have watched super close and am positively sure that Buster does it out of sheer laziness. It happens when it is most inconvenient to leave his play. We ask him to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes or so, but he can go more often than that.

I wish we had one more bedroom in this house. It's becoming more and more evident that putting the twins in separate rooms would be a positive. They were like infants noticing nothing when they first came. This is no longer the case. They are noticing, even if there is a certain innocence about it all. I'd like to keep it that way. I'm teaching one to dress in the bedroom and the other to dress in the bathroom with the doors shut. Not so easy since they still need guidance.They still don't shut the door when they use the bathroom and I'm still wiping bottoms. The day they learn to do it themselves is the day I'll lose knowing where we are with the constipation management. So, I'm okay with it for a little longer. We are still requiring regular bathroom visits at the same time each morning.They do it, not always with a smile. The bowels are still healing. It's a long process though they never have accidents.

I think that both kids would benefit from being in separate rooms for their developmental progress. I don't know if this just comes with having twins or what, but I think that he relies on her as a crutch, like he can't go to sleep unless she is in bed. He's dependent on her for his security. He's stuck in this holding pattern all based on fear.  For Missy, I think his babyness is hindering her growth. They don't seem close - as in sharing secrets and playing together a lot. They can play together, but it's more competitive - especially on her part. Somehow still, they have to know where the other is, which is fine, but I do think that they hold each other back. The big girls are that.... so much bigger they seem like adults, so it's unrealistic to try to live up to them. I'm curious how they will respond to having my sister's boys here for a week. They are 7, 10 and 11, fast, smart, energetic and super verbal. It's going to make the twins' heads spin. I expect there to be a ton of wet, peed on pants from one certain little boy who will be standing, watching in awe.

Once the kiddos turn 7  - or the adoption is finalized, I can let Missy be in a room downstairs. Foster care rules require kids under 7 to be on the same floor as the parents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha... Maybe its a small blessing that our girls aren't going to be there - it might just be too much having ALL the cousins together! :) I do look forward to reading updates on them meeting their grandfather and their uncle! Antionette

:)De said...

I was just wondering...it seems that your state allows boys and girls to sleep in the same room. Ours does not once either of the children is over 5 yrs of age.

acceptance with joy said...

Yes, that is usually the case, except that they are twins... so it was thought to be best by the social worker and the agency. And probably it was as they transitioned into our home.

Antionette,
A VERY small blessing. I'd rather the greater blessing of having you ALL here!

Kelly said...

My two are 11 months apart and Nate was VERY dependent on Beth when they came. She took care of him. They could not play alone. Nate would have a fit if Beth was not in the bed when he was put to bed. They shared a room for 5-6 months but now that we know what we know I sure wish I had never put them in the same room. I agree that when you can separate them it will help with their developmental progress.