Sunday, August 1, 2010

5 Months Today!


Today the children have been home 5 months.


It's amazing to think back and remember how far they have come.
Really!
Five months is a relatively short amount of time,
yet, 
their progress is nothing short of amazing.

Here's an example of progress:
Neither children knew what to do with a box of crayons and a blank sheet of paper when they first came,
nor were they interested in finding out what to do with them.
Coloring books were not interesting, either.
I put the crayons away for awhile, since there were MUCH more important things to work on. About 2 times a month we would bring them out and try again.

About 6 weeks ago they had to wait for me and someone handed them each a clipboard and a set of colored pencils. Little Missy managed to draw a triangular shape with a couple of lines through it. Buster stared at the white paper. Three weeks ago we had the same scenario... only with better results.
In fact I was impressed enough to label and date them.
Here's Buster's. It's something, anyway.
 Here's Missy's. Flowers... pretty good ones, too, and the letter "N" backwards as usual.


Imagine my surprise today when they both loved my suggestion that we spend a few minutes drawing today, but imagine my greater surprise when they both turned out great pictures in full color! These are Buster's pictures (with one of mine to inspire him).

My favorite?
He said this is a HAPPY HEART. 
The rectangles on the side he said are doors - you know, the doors that Jesus is knocking on.
The smiley face, I think that's Buster when he's chosen a happy heart. 
Funny how his heart is bigger that he is.
I like that picture the very BEST!

Here's Missy's with one of mine - inspired by one of hers :-)
I love that they are bright and cheery and full of color.

You know what is most surprising? 
They did this for nearly 2 hours!!
I finally said it was time to do something else 
and that led to an incident that also showed growth....

Not, right off, but when I mentioned Buster had a car track set to pick up he started whining that he couldn't do it by himself and I reminded him that he certainly could. I knew that it wasn't really about picking up the toys, it was about his fear. He's really struggling with fear since our big  thunder storm. He could have asked for help, or left the door open, or whatever, but that's not what he chose. He threw himself on the floor and started crying and I quickly picked him off the floor and removed him from gawkers. He was ramping up to an all out tantrum and possible rage session.... I asked him to stop and told him he COULD control himself if he chose, or he could go out of control and end up with consequences, but it was totally his choice. He chose to calm down. I put him in time out for 5 minutes to give himself time to cement his decision and in 5 minutes he was out picking up his toys. I was excited! We talked about what he did right and how he turned the situation around from what could have been.
Little Miss had a time out session today, too. She sat quiet and chose to obey. In the past this would have been cause for screaming "No, NO, NO!!!" at me and flailing and beating the walls and breaking things and could have taken several hours to a few days to turn around.
In 5 minutes she was happily playing once again.

Progress. 
It seems really slow
Until you think that it's only been
5 months.

7 comments:

GB's Mom said...

That is because they have an awesome Mom and an awesome God. So happy for you!

Unknown said...

I am so happy for your (their) progress! You seem to have lots of patients and are doing great with them!!

Jenny said...

I am so happy for you and your family! You are doing an awesome job!

~marci~ said...

Love their pictures! They are growing...changing...with God fearing parents. Stay close to Him! He is working through you to bless your children...all of them.

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Praise God!!I'm so happy for you.

stellarparenting.com said...

so great to hear and see, drawing pictures is such an imporatant part of being a regular kid.

Kelly said...

So happy you are seeing progress. I kept some pictures from the very beginning to compare with today and there is just no comparison. My two were like yours about crayons and paper. They both just scribbled. Nate in straight lines and Beth in circles. It is really amazing what they have learned.

They did not even know what numbers or letters were. Not even the number one spoken. It meant nothing to them. The concept of counting anything meant NOTHING. Nate can now count past 100.

Letters were like a foreign language. No concept of ABC's. Beth is now sounding out words and trying to write the sounds she hears.

They had never heard any childhood songs like, "Twinkle little star", ABC's, Jesus Loves Me". Beth sings these and others all the time.

These are just a few examples I have about progress but the thing that amazes me is how far behind they were when they came. It is just ridiculous. Angers me it was like that. How hard is it to sing to, read to, color with, count with... your child?

The progress your two have made in a short 5 months is absolutely amazing and really shows what a wonderful mother you are. You are doing a great job!!!!