Sunday, August 29, 2010

Abandonded?

I left Steve home with the twins for an overnight trip.  We were all suppose to go to a wedding but Steve threw his back out and couldn't make the trip at all. I ended up going with a friend and the three big girls came with. It was quite interesting to take in the twins' reaction to being left behind. This is the first time in the nearly 6 months they have lived here that I have been gone for an over night trip.

As I was getting ready to go I explained everything to Missy. She instantly turned from her amicable self to a very naught child. She became selfish, picked fights, broke rules, pouted and cried loudly when reprimanded. It was amazing really. She suffered the consequences of her actions and she decided to change her outward "look" but I could tell she was steaming mad! In fact, I got down on my knees and tried to look her in the eye and said, "You are mad at mommy because I am going to the wedding aren't you?" She kept her gaze averted and nodded ever so slightly. I promised to return. Later when I tried to hug and kiss them goodbye she refused to acknowledge me.

Steve had quite a time. After we let both children tried to take all control into their hands. They told him what they were going to eat and how to make it and where they were going. They rattled around like that for a few minutes while he took stock of the situation and then, he told them to sit down, be quiet and drink a glass of water while HE decided what they would eat. Furthermore, he told them they were all going for a nap directly after lunch and then they were going for a bike ride.

Both children regressed in behavior. They started talking non-stop about "grandma do this and grandma do that, and Grandma have this and grandma have that ...." They used to talk about foster mom like this all the time, but we have not heard it in about 2 months. Buster started asking obvious questions left and right again.

First thing this morning they asked, "Mommy come home today?" and when they were reassured that indeed I was coming home today behaviors returned to normal. Whew!!

I had a great time at the wedding and with my friend. We visited with some of her friends and her son and went out to eat at a Thai restaurant, etc... It was good for the twins to experience my absence and realize my return. They were perfectly fine with dad. The break was good for me.

And....

Missy learned to ride her bike without training wheels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woohooo!!! No training wheels is the best! Great work, Missy! :)

MrsKish