Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Contemplating the School Year

I have to homeschool the twins... or I should say they are required to be in a school program of some sort this fall by the State and I choose homeschooling. I actually feel like every day is an education for these two. Life skills are on the top of the list along with character development, but they are required to attempt to learn to read now... or by September, at least.

Every day the kids are learning and doing new things; drawing, coloring, cutting, games, projects, imaginative play, chores, counting, putting together alphabet puzzles, to name a few and learning is taking a very natural, easy course that I would prefer to allow more time to develop on its own. These two have been in public school for years and look where it's gotten them. I'm not exaggerating when I say years either... somewhere I read that they've been in pre-school programs since they were 2. My guess from reading their IEP they were completely lost in the crowd and only built up coping mechanisms and protections against being forced to learn anything. It's very evident that Missy especially did so. She has more tricks to make one think she can't understand, doesn't know the answer, and is clueless than you can shake a stick at. Tiny bit by tiny bit I see the real Missy emerging and she is shedding thin layers of insulation and actually desiring to grasp ideas and skills.

Learning should be enjoyable. Little kids naturally want to grow and know, but this ambition can be squelched. For these two, trauma, circumstances, an artificial learning environment surrounded by bunches of kids their own age- but far in advance of them, lack of security, and a loving, nurturing parent and even inclination to only do the easiest nearly killed their growth and development.  Time in nature, time to play, time to just be at home without running hither and thither can restore ordinary longing for new thought and I'm seeing it happen.  Just wish I had more time.

It's not the end of the world, of course, but I'm looking for a program that won't "feel" too much like school. I'd make up my own unit studies if I had time. I've done that before.... takes time that I don't have right now. I'm searching, searching, searching. Today I've been looking at Five in a Row. Looks like a ton of fun. Anyone have a used copy of vol 1 they would sell to me cheap? :-) We have some learning "differences" going on here.... Homeschool materials abound. It doesn't get any less of a jungle out there as time goes on.

Searching, searching, searching....

2 comments:

:)De said...

My 3rd child was in a similar situation in that he had been "in school" for 3.5 yrs before coming home and he knew so little I thought there was no way he could have been in a school setting and not have at least picked up some basic human behaviors! I had to fight, fight to get to homeschool him and I started like you with just basic living skills.

If this is what you are looking for: http://cgi.ebay.com/Five-Row-Vol-1-FIAR-Jane-Lambert-plus-5-books-/250680926773?pt=US_Texbook_Education

I would love to gift it to you!

Peace,
:)De

Laurie said...

I loved 5 in a row when I used it. Wish I had a copy to send you but it looks like you may have someone who has it for you. God is soo good in how He provides.

Thank you for the comment on my blog post. No, I really didn't rig it to win. I'm not that savvy.

May your cup be overflowing with love from the Father today.

Laurie -seeingtheworldthroughhiseyes.blogspot.com