Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Everyday

is a learning experience...

It's true. We are all learning.. . even the twins.

There's a nice clear schedule on the fridge door. It took a long time to get to the place were we could even figure out a schedule so this is really nice. It takes some of the burden off me as the "mean old mistress"... the kids go and stand by the schedule and stare at it and recite what they think it says. I'm working on a pictorial version.  They might still say "NO", when I tell them what is next, (specifically going potty or drinking water)  but they are quickly learning that saying "NO" to me only lands them in bed every single time and interestingly enough, they (especially he) will often instantly fall asleep and if they  don't go to sleep they quickly decide to say, "Yes, MOM!"  The first day I tried this I had to repeat the process over and over all day long, but since then it has been only once or twice each per day. It's very, very effective, thankfully.

On to the poop chronicles:

We are only going through about 3 or 4 pairs of underwear each a day now. The balloons are so effective that the twins are NOT allowed to blow them up unless they are sitting on the toilet!!! They are such experts at blowing up balloons now that Little Miss can blow up 3 or 4 balloons to the popping point in one sitting. It kind of stings the face - I tried it.  We stocked up at the dollar store yesterday.

We were in the grocery store Monday and someone wasn't smelling so great and in order to save time and get the food bought I sent the big girls to the bathroom with the littles. The Little Fellow sits on the pot and says, "I need a balloon!.

Christina says, "Well, we don't have one."

He says, "BUT I REALLY NEED TO GO!"

She says, "Just BLOW really hard".

Goodness! Will they ever figure this out?

It's going much easier for Missy than for her brother. She can sit on the throne and poop 5 times a day. He can only do it once or twice but I am never sure if it will be in the morning or in the afternoon and so we have to try every hour all day long.

I still think, even while I'm trying to be vigilant, that she is over-eating. She literally eats everything and always wants more. I put limits on how much she can have but it's hard to know what a little body needs. I've been cautious to err on the side of plenty - but I think I might be doing her a disfavor.

Both kids run with their heads down. They had a terrific collision today in the hallway. She was completely bowled over by him and quite hurt. She's a toughy, so I knew she was hurt. He, on the other hand, howled long and loud, but shrugged his shoulders when I asked him where he was hurt. He's very much a baby and sensitive to his rights, but he and I hiked to the top of our mountain the other day. We went straight up the steep parts without much of a pause. He's come a LONG way in attitude and strength. He only asked for help on the way down. I was going fast and hard and he kept up and was happy the whole way. Previously he only whined and fussed and nearly tore my finger joints to pieces on small hills. Hiking is a big deal in this family and so it's always presented as the THING to DO for fun and he's catching on.

3 comments:

stellarparenting.com said...

yipee for baby steps, 2 forward and then one back but forward is slow journey.

~marci~ said...

Beginning to see change in your chronicle...a positive change. Yay!

Kelly said...

Thank heavens for a routine. I love routine and must have it. Makes the kids feel safe and more in control when one is in place. Hooray for you and your routine!!!!! (and for more poop in the potty!!! Hip Hip Horray!! :)