Sunday, June 6, 2010

End of Trip

We are going home tomorrow.

Most of the time the kids have been great.


Yesterday, the bathroom issue reared it's ugly head.... they both refused to go and fought it. It didn't help that they got left on the toilet by sisters who went chasing after a dog sled team, but hey, if you're are going to be obnoxious life just might pass you by. We dealt with a tantrum or two... both had a nap over the deal. Today, Buster was good and Missy flatly refused to go. She was totally and completely defiant and drew blood (mine) with her sharp fingernails. It took a long time for her to come around and obey. She's promising to behave tomorrow. The stakes are high. NO treats on the airplane if she gives me grief over going potty at the usual time. I will say that I am amazed that she has not wet her pants since we left home. I praise her up and down for that and talk to her about what a big girl she is getting to be. When she makes up her mind not to obey, however, she's a pathetic wretch and I can only trust God to help me, because I have never seen anything so stubborn and so brazenly disrespectful. To think God sent His Son to die for her :-)  Really, I remind myself constantly that GOD did send His Son to die for her. I pray for that kind of LOVE.

I'm sounding like a broken record, but the changes in these kids is phenomenal. Every. Day!! Little Guy is picking up words and sentences from all our reading and conversation so that when he meets with an experience that he's only read about he talks in storybook. For instance we went out in a boat on the river today. He marched down to the river's edge and asks, "May I watch the boats come and go, come and go...." and I finished the sentence "Come and go on Galilee?"  And then he says, " where's the ocean blue?" It's hilarious to listen to when you know it's straight out of a book.  So we get in the boat and he was a bit frightened by the wake of the other boats. He figured we were bumping over whales. LOL! He's getting a little sassy. It's like he's emerging into another age level and trying out some "big kid talk".  The maturity is slower to catch up with the brain... I'm allowing them to experiment and try new things, but we are never more than a few feet away because, while I want them to grow and catch up, they are not ready for the responsibility that goes with it. It's interesting to watch them try and get their social cues from other kids. They do try hard, but they are not quite there, yet. They've had an argument or two between themselves this week. I haven't seen that before. My friend figures the more secure they get and  the more sure of themselves they become we'll be seeing a lot more of it.  OH, yay!  NOT : S

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You will definitely see more squabble as they get more independent if they are anything like my two. Nate and Beth NEVER disagreed and always were kind to each other. They were programed to look out for each other. It was a really weird type of relationship they had. It was so sweet but not your normal sibling relationship. More like a sappy in love couple.

Now that Nate doesn't need Beth to protect him and he has self confidence Beth drives him crazy. She hasn't figured out not to boss him and that he doesn't need her anymore.

Part of it is self confidence and independence and another part is that Nate has gained trust in me so he knows he doesn't need Beth's guidance and protection.

They fuss soooo much now. They have gone from one extreme to another. Now we are in the process of teaching them to get along appropriately.

Always teaching something. :)

I completely understand the stubborn girl thing. Beth is so stubborn. When she decides to comply she is so easy but oh boy when she decides not to.. UGH!!