Friday, September 2, 2011

The Rabbit Saga

First, let me say I appreciate the prayers!!! We need them.

I think we got home from California around August 8. This is when the problem of caring for the rabbits began. Before the trip, for the month of July, the kiddo had done well. As soon as the girls were back he figured it was their job and he was done. We've been working on this ever since. I require him to get it done before breakfast, but I know that a few times he got away with getting breakfast before finishing  because I was busy and didn't notice, or I believed his lies and didn't check up on him right away. I suppose this has given him cause to think I won't follow through and he has a chance, even if it is a 1% chance.


Day before yesterday I really felt like I had to step it up a bit as obviously nothing  was making an impression on him. I made it absolutely clear that if the rabbits were not fed and watered he would not get breakfast. I had not done that before. I just kept sending him out until it was done and he got to eat when it was right. Before he went out yesterday, I reminded him to do it right the first time or he would have to know what if feels like for the bunnies not to get their food. I am clearly dealing with rebellion.

You know how it went yesterday. {GASP!}

He didn't get breakfast.

And he was in shock. After sending him out 8 times to get it done right he came in fully expecting breakfast. I asked him, "What did I tell you would happen if you did not feed the rabbits right the first time?"

I would not get breakfast.

"But you really believed I would feed you anyway?"

YES!

Then and there he had a tantrum and most of our morning was spent trying to turn his attitude around.

Uncle Bob and Auntie Joy showed up on their motorcycle and we had a great afternoon - except that the twins were incredibly, and annoyingly seeking attention the entire time. They interrupted, they were loud, and they were obnoxiously so!!!! It was all Steve and I could do to handle them. Uncle Bob took them for rides on the bike and they had fun, but they were like I have not seen them for a long time.

Last night before bed, I reminded James about the bunnies. I reminded him that tomorrow he had a chance to show me he could do the chores right OR he would once again miss breakfast. The ball is in his court. The choice was his.

In the morning he rushed out with a happy attitude and I chased him down so that we talk over each and every step of what I expected so that there could be no mistake.

It's four things:
1) Rabbit pellets in one bowl and
2) clean water in the other bowl for Betty.
3)Rabbit pellets in one bowl and
4)clean water in the other bowl for Chip.

That's all!

Once again I asked if he could he tell me what would happen if it wasn't done right the first time?


Yes, he knew.

He went off happily. We all watched him go to both cages. We saw him work. And then when he came back I told him to sit on the step and we went over the 4 things that should have been done. Just to be sure -Just to give him a chance to go back and fix anything he might have "forgotten". He told me he had fed and watered CHiP and He told me he had fed and watered Betty.  I grilled him; "Where did you get the water? How full were the bowls? Was the water clean? Etc. I so wanted him to be successful.

Christina inspected the rabbit cages while we waited.

AND. . . .


There was NO food in Betty's bowl!

I went with him to see for myself and sure enough. He had NOT fed her.

I asked him what that meant. He said, no breakfast.

I was so sad. I can hardly wrap my brain around this!!!! WHY??


His response? Because I DON'T WANT TO!

It's market day and the girls had forgotten the scale, so after making sure everyone, including our guests had breakfast I ran the scale to the market. When I got back I filled my bowl and James asked if he could sit down. I kind of looked at him blank and said, "Sure, son, sit anywhere you like".

He sat at the breakfast bar.

As I carried my bowl to the table he made like he totally expected it was for him. He even acted offended when I placed it in front of me. He asked where his was.

He cried.

but there was no tantrum. Somehow he doesn't believe my word.

I am so consistent. I rarely ever mess up on this. I mean what I say, I say what I mean. I don't lie, I don't think I threaten without following through. It's true he's gotten away with not feeding the rabbits a few times in the past by lying or by sneaking, but I am trying so hard to not let this happen. I am a busy mom with a hundred irons in the fire, occasionally I can be fooled. Oh, how I hate being fooled!

So is he really dumb or is he trying to outsmart us? To me he is a very smart boy. Maybe I'm the stupid one. MAY God HELP US.

It's the same battle, different scenario with his twin. She had a tantrum at breakfast- a small one, we had company after all,  but a tantrum none-the-less because Christina put margarine on her tortilla instead of peanut butter, BUT Christina had asked what she wanted, and put marg when the kid wouldn't answer. After the marg was on she asked for peanut butter.... No one can win. Ever.

***
It's nearly lunch time and he's just been offered a freshly picked apple before lunch is served and he turned up his nose.... hmmmm.....

6 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Angela, when treating teen-age drug and alcohol addicted students, teachers and mentors are taught that even after treatment, students are starting "new" at the emotional level they were at when they started using their drug of choice. * I wonder if there is a comparison here? You've mentioned that the children were heavily medicated when they came to you. Although they are been withdrawn from the med's, could their emotional levels be so opposed to their biological age as a result? * You are being tried in the fire. Keep the course. You are doing a good job, but oh the energy it must take from you! Hang in there!

Ruth said...

I love love your blog. Its the story of my life. You are doing a great job and it will pay off. I have had my kids for 3 years now and I still see the occasional day like this. But its def much much better then it used to be.

momof4boys said...

When Ian was little, I well remember the "Feed the dog" saga. It was the exact same story as yours with James. He missed several breakfasts too, in his attempt to know how the dog feels. Or, was that just my attempt at something about how the dog feels. Sigh! Did I ever get through?!!! LOL It will come!

Melanie said...

I feel so sad reading about the twins. Thank you for writing this blog. My husband and I are in the (seemingly) never-ending cycle of getting approved as an adoptive resource. Reading your blog is helping me remember to use this time in prayer and preparing for the hard times that we will go through with our blessings.

La Tea Dah said...

Still thinking about James and the bunnies - and the stress it causes mom and dad. It may be the only way this lesson gets through is to give the bunnies away. Will pray it doesn't come to that.

Oldqueen44 said...

I'm sure going through this you don't find much humor in any of the bunny saga. BUT... really it is quite amusing how James thinks he is going to trick you and win some kind of little (big) battle in his mind. This will be a great story to tell him when he is having a battle of the wills with one of his own children. He will find humor in it also, remembering how clever he thought he was and how shocked he was when he didn't get breakfast. Hang in there and be tough. The victory is yours.