Monday, April 21, 2014

Hurting Kids

The current foster kids: The little peanuts got kicked out of daycare for the day today for doing stuff like - mooning the other kids, spitting at people, screaming and trying to kick holes in the walls when put in time out. They hadn't been there for more than an hour.

It's fallout from a visit with family on Easter. They were over-tired from missing naps, vomiting from over-eating food they aren't used to (ham and gravy), and on a sugar high when we got them back after their 4 hours. They must have really "pigged out!" as the family put it. Sigh.

It might be real cute when I go to daycare to pick up the kids and Oscar comes running yelling "mommy, mommy, mommy!!!"  Not so cute when I pick them up from their mom and he's yelling "mommy, mommy, mommy!!!" to me from her arms. Pieter opened his mouth and started to say, "My mommy is so stupid, she...." when he found his lips sealed shut by my quick hand. I instantly took the mom-in-charge position and told him in no way is he ever to speak of his mother like that again. Poor girl had tears in her eyes.

Anything I do is a band-aid. The root of the behaviors go very deep. There's abandonment and anger . . . The position of a foster parents is a pretty helpless place. I am keeping Pieter home for a few days. He will be required to be beside me always. He's been bullying Buddy and I won't allow him out of my sight.

***

Past foster kids:
Buddy's family is doing very, very well, only they are going to lose the house. The relatives that were paying their rent have found themselves in great financial distress. The dshs support money they were receiving is about to be cut also which will cut out daycare. She's learning to rely on God for her needs. She's handling it well. I did go buy Buddy some shoes this morning. He has these big square feet that grew two sizes overnight. He cried a lot from growing pains all last night. Vanessa told me, she's still staying at their house. . . he's this big hunk of a kid that talks like a minion. There's no other way to describe it, it's so cute. (I actually had to look up what a minion was, but you-tube confirmed it for me!! ha!).

1 comment:

Oldqueen44 said...

I wonder how many families lose their children just because they are financially messed up, or some other type of circumstance that has nothing to do with being a good or bad parent?
I hope she can hang in there and learn from those that care about her.