Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First Impressions

He hasn't even been here 12 hours yet and he's talking about staying and having his "mom" bring his trucks and toys here in a wagon. He told Vanessa up in the garden that he wants to stay here.

I could love this kid. His smile has captured me.

He is sweet and mild mannered. He isn't the least bit shy or afraid. He likes the dog and the cats and he is thrilled with the rabbits.

When Steve walked in last night he ran to the door and shouted, "Hi, Steve!" and then he went behind the wall and giggled.

I read his history and I can't figure out why he isn't more visibly damaged!! Obviously, he is on his best behavior, but still. He has had 7 placements in his short little 5 years and nearly all of them were pre-adoptive homes - meaning he has been disrupted way too many times!!! Until this last one none of it was his fault. His sister was the issue, but now she has found home and it wasn't right for him.

I was told he would not go to bed easily... that he would play around in his room until he was ready. I tucked him in and he was asleep in 5 minutes. I was told he wakes up at 5:30 every morning but he didn't wake up until 6:30. He didn't want to brush his teeth and there was no toothbrush in his bag. I found a new toothbrush and after the first couple whines (the only I have heard so far) he brushed like he knew what he was doing.

He has brown, expressive eyes and needs a haircut. He talks all the time.

I sent his broken glasses with Steve to the Eye and Ear Clinic next to the hospital to be repaired. Thankfully they still had his subscription in the case and they came from that very clinic.

This little guy knows who God is. He seems familiar with church and such... but doesn't fold his hands or close his eyes when we say grace :-)

I have simplified my day so I can be home with him. Cindy will take the girls to their classes to help me out. I think we'll work in the garden and pick tomatoes.

1 comment:

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness, dear friend, I missed yesterdays post!
Wow--what a journey for your family. I read your post and my heart almost broke in two for this sweet little guy. What an awful hand he has been dealt. My heart cannot comprehend it all. So painful. So unfair.
Please keep us updated as you have time. I will absolutely be following along.
Sending you a huge hug.