Monday, February 22, 2010

One Year Ago

I started this blog exactly one year ago.

The adoption journey was only the beginning of a dream then. I started the blog with a prayer and it was only a few weeks before we made the leap and began the process. Here we are a year later and about to bring home our tw*ns.

God began to lay on our hearts to adopt before we actually started the journey, but it became urgent Jan 1, 2009 and my husband and I started discussing the possibilities together. We now know the children had been in care a month at the time. We were in Africa when they were taken into care and I believe that is where God began the groundwork - especially in my husband's heart, to push us forward in faith believing He had a greater plan for our lives than we were living at the time. Our youngest had turned 11 at the start of the trip in Africa. (We were there 2 months.) And since then she has turned 12. I don't believe she was ready for the changes that are about to take place in our lives before she developed some maturity. She's a good kid, but she was a piece of work character wise... and not that she has arrived, but she has matured and made the commitment to follow Christ and character development is going forward smoothly. And anyway, the kids were not ready for us, yet, but now they are and so, I can look back see how the pieces are coming together... "for such a time as this". How very blessed we are.

Our visit with the tw*ns went exceptionally well. Steve and I are becoming attached!!! It's going to be hard to let them go back home after their over-night visit here this week. Steve actually asked me to talk to SW and ask to stretch the visit for one more night if possible.

We did not get to meet bio mom. We were on time. She was there, but the facilitator did not show up and so SW did not want to move forward with the visit. Steve was rather taken aback by that.

I have in my hands some of the file on the kids and their most recent IEP evaluation from last week. We've got our work cut out ;-)

We brought home a car load of things. They have new bicycles and helmets that were still in the box. Christina put them together last night. We officially moved Christina downstairs and now we need to finish the quilts.

Oh, and an update on saying no... I guess those children I could not babysit will get to go to Peru now. They ought to thank me for saying NO! LOL.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

God's timing is perfect. I too have looked back on our journey and can see how God has been putting the pieces all together in His own time and boy is it perfect. I am so happy for your family. I know your home is just bubbling over with excitement. Have fun with your overnight visit!!

stellarparenting.com said...

A similar thing happened with our boys, they came into care the fall that my hubby and I got engaged, actually right around the time that we decided to be together on a more serious level. They had a rough journey before they got here but it was the one they needed to be on.
Happy 1 year to you