Monday, January 25, 2010

Looking Forward

I'm anticipating our little visits with the kids and trying to prepare myself. Of course, I want that first visit to go just right. I'm wondering just what to take with me. If we go to the park then we should have a ball but that will depend on the weather, etc... I'm trying to think up different scenarios so that I can be prepared. Mostly I'm coming up blank. We will be meeting at the foster home and I am told that they will act shy at first, but then will want to show us their room and their things. I'm thinking of making them each an little album of our family but I'll need permission to give it to them, I think. If anyone reading this has gone through the first visit and has any suggestions feel free to comment!

Friends, two couples, have each given us a gift certificate to the Olive Garden, so while Steve and I are in big city land, we plan on eating out! I'm really looking forward to that. They didn't even know when they gave us those certificates that we would be making trips over there rather frequently in the next month. It's a blessing.

We are all waiting on pins and needles this morning wondering if Cindy and Tom's little girl passed court in Ethiopia or not. Praying that she did.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

you know we had so many ideas about the first meeting and when it happened it just fell into place and we ended up briniging them home the same day

we met them at Mcdonalds lol I joke now and say to the kids..I ordered a kids meal and I got real kids lol

Kelly said...

Wow. What an exciting time for you and your hubby. Can't wait to hear about you meeting your new little ones. TWINS!! How cool is that. I always wanted twins. Congratulations!! I love that you are willing to step out in faith trusting that God won't give you more than you can handle. Oh, the blessings. Double blessings with twins. :) So happy for you!

In reference to your comment on my blog...I have thought more and more about the radio guy's comments and you are right about the different reactions and perceptions of adopting from foster care. It doesn't just instantly happen like picking up a child from another country and then they are yours. People are guarded about their reactions and feelings toward fost/adopt placements thinking they could be gone at any time and aren't really, for sure, yours. It is much more glamorous to go to another country and those children are also looked at differently. Foster children are so often treated like they are bad and that's why they are in foster care. We are in Sunday School with a couple that adopted a little girl from China and they got so much support and encouragement and everyone was so excited for them. People in our class are curious about our foster children but aren't encouraging or excited for us. They aren't ugly, just indifferent. When we brought the baby home nobody oooohed and awwwed over him. They almost ignored the fact that we had him. Weird. He is a precious child no matter how he came to us or how long we would have him. I can remember when we had our bio babies people were lined up at the nursery door to see them. I had a hard time at first understanding why it's any different with Peyton. It used to bother me but I don't really care anymore because we are walking in God's will and that's all that counts. Maybe it will be different when we sign those final papers of adoption. Somehow I doubt it, but maybe.
Sorry this got so long.

I wish you only the best. Thank you for your willingness to adopt from this country.