Sunday, November 1, 2009

Successful Adoption Fund Raiser

Last night the church put on a bake sale auction as a fund raiser for Tom and Cindy's adoption of two little ones from Ethiopia. Lots of people really got behind the project. When I saw the stacks of food to be sold I was thinking we might have a hard time selling it ALL, but amazingly people came through and a great time was had by all.

Steve was chosen to be the auctioneer. I'm not exactly sure why they chose him other than no one else would do it. He can't remember people's names. He doesn't know what certain baked goods are called and he is quite funny only because he really doesn't mean to be. For example he started off the night calling cinnamon rolls "cinnamon gravy rolls".... Some in charge were aghast... and evey body laughed. He was very much in earnest about raising money. He started off with a bang and raising the prices sky high. I bought a pie for $105 dollars!

Steve was using me to bid things up... whether or not I was bidding on an item was besides the point. He'd nod in my direction and that was all the clue I had. Sometimes he even pretended that I had bid... but he himself was bidding against his audience. If it weren't for such a good cause I doubt he could have gotten away with that. If it had been a political arena the headlines would have been screaming "Corruption!" Anyway, I had so much loot by the end... I was trying to give it away .

In the end the total was a spectacular $3,600. The Lord blessed!

No comments: