Sunday, April 25, 2010

I'm Just Noticing

That the twins have pretty much stopped saying "No, NO, NO!!" to me. It used to be that I heard this a thousand times a day over any and everything. We really worked on saying, "Yes, mom" and it has paid off. If they are really unhappy about something they just look away now - which is understandable.Little Miss is a pouter by nature. We are working on that. I take her hand and have her look into my eyes and we talk through it.... if she doesn't come around she goes to time-out, but she's really good at fake smiles - that's all I can expect sometimes and until they are feeling completely secure and have been here awhile I  don't expect a complete change of heart. Little Guy can pout, too, but generally he is much more explosive in his reactions so it takes a lot more effort to make him come around. He'll throw himself on the couch and say he's not going to eat if he thinks he doesn't like what I made. He'll throw the closest object, or let out a scream, or hit the walls. The other day I asked him to blow up a balloon on the toilet and he didn't want to so he swallowed it. I actually didn't realize it until the next day when I was wiping his behind and pulled it out of .... never mind TMI! There's never a dull moment. We're learning not to be surprised about anything.

We had a really good day yesterday. Both kids were happy. We went hiking after church up Saddle Rock. It was so NICE because both had done a great job on the potty so the whole day was worry free. They ran and climbed and played without a concern.

We have found something that both children like that will occupy them without them needing someone else at all times. Playdough! They will sit and play at the counter happily for an hour at a time. It's a relief.

No comments: